Monday, July 27, 2015

Review ~ the Shirt Making Workbook

If there is such a thing as a bible for shirt making, this book would be it.

I was given the chance to review the book, "the Shirt Making Workbook" written by David Page Coffin who was an editor at Threads magazine as well as contributing many articals for them. David has taught and lectured all over the U.S, Canada, and U.K. He has also taught an online class for Craftsy.com.

What I love is that David did an amazing job explaining things so well throughout the book.

Yes, I can sew a garment... well, as long as it's not too complicated. I have never attended a sewing school, I have learned everything I know through trial and error. I know I still have a lot to learn. I hope my book review can give you the glimpse of how awesome this book is and how great it is for everyone; beginner to intermediate!

In chapter 1, he talks about where and how to get these five basic blocks(patterns). In the last chapters (3 through 7) teaches us details and specialized techniques associated with each of five block types in the picture in the bottom.

In Chapter 2, you can learn and review a few key generic construction techniques in common use among professionals.

Who knew there are so many different collar types!

There are some unique pocket and cuff ideas too!

He also featured some designers in his book. My most favorite designer is Morgan Meredith. Morgan and her husband Matt has a pattern line for menswear. You need to go check out their website for the unique and versatile patterns, tutorials and links. It is hard to find stylish and current menswear patterns. As my boys are getting older, I am happy to know that I have a go to pattern store with one click of a button.

Reading through the book I realized that this is not a sewing how-to book even though he shared many great techniques through out the book. This is a shirt design book which is full of information that professionals would use with a more friendly approach for home sewers like myself. Also, what's great about this book is that this workbook provides a large collection of full-size add-on detail patterns in digital, printable format. Now, we can really get rolling and have fun with it!

Intrigued? If you want to expand your knowledge in shirt making, you don't want to miss this one. I highly recommend it! :)



1 comment :

  1. Interesting sewing book. Shirt-making is something I've not do much of, and I'm really interested in all of the variations on the details and that designer inspiration section.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin