Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Sew Easy! 15 Minute Kitchen Towel Apron


I found this really attractive kitchen towel when I was strolling about at Crate & Barrel.

I have been needing to make a new apron for my kids for a while, the light bulb moment came to me right away. Today I will show you how easily and quickly you can make an apron with a kitchen towel.

{You will need}

1 Kitchen towel (mine was 21 1/2" x 30")
3/4" wide woven tape --- 3 yards (I am pretty sure mine is 100% cotton)
Matching thread

{How to}

1. Measure the top corner of the kitchen towel; 5" on the top edge, 9" on the side and draw a diagonal line.

2. Fold the towel in half with right sides together and make sure that the edges and corners are perfectly matched. Cut on the line.

3. Fold the diagonal lines twice(first 1/4" then 1") press with iron and sew with 1/8" seam.

4. Thread the woven tape from one side of the bottom to the top and then through the top on the other side and out the bottom. Then, treat the ends of the woven tape by folding and sewing.

That is it! Now it is ready to put to use. As you can see on my mannequin, a grown up can wear it...

as well as my 9 year old daughter. She was so eager to help in the kitchen that night wearing her new apron. :)


*Note: If the kitchen towel you are going to use is smaller than this one, you might want to change the measurement of the top corner. For example; 4" on the top edge 7 1/2" on the side.

3 comments :

  1. I absolutely LOVE this! Thank you for sharing it. I hate sewing, but I think I can do this!
    Blessings,
    GG

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a good idea and looks great, Sachiko. Thanks heaps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a lovely tea towel! it made a beautiful apron & looks right at home on your little helper too
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin